Barrenjoey Montessori School (BMS) was established in Newport—in the heart of the Northern Beaches in Sydney—in 1985 by a group of interested parents. Its success resulted in a purpose-built school, located behind the sand dunes of North Avalon in the Des Creagh Reserve.
The not-for-profit school has been operating at its present site since 1990. In 1997, increased demand for places led to an expansion with the addition of an extra classroom. However, the demand for places at the school continued and thanks to the ongoing parental involvement and persistence a $250,000 government grant was secured in May 2009 (BER ). This grant propelled the school towards an extensive building project which was completed in December 2010 and has resulted in a 2nd classroom for 3 – 6 year olds and a 6 – 9 primary classroom.
In 2017 we started our 9-12 classroom and as such can now offer primary school classes to year 6.
How our school is run
BMS is a not-for-profit parent run school, operated by the Avalon Montessori Association. Parents and members of the community are invited to become members of the Association. It is at the monthly Board meetings that the business of the school is conducted and issues are raised, discussed and voted on by Board members. The school Board currently has 7 members from both the school and the wider community.
The school employs a Principal who is supported by a passionate and experienced team both in the classroom and in the office to ensure that children and families gain from a high quality of Montessori education.
Affiliations and governing bodies
- Montessori Australia Foundation
- Association Montessori Internationale
- Montessori Association of New Zealand
- Independent Schools of Australia of New south Wales
- The school participates in the Montessori Quality Assurance program
- Board of Studies NSW
- Early Years Learning Framework
Interested in the Under 3's or 3-6 program?
- Find out about our Under 3's program
- Find out about our 3 to 6 program
- Find out about our 6 to 9 program
- Call us to find out about our 9 to 12 program
- Join us for an observation in the classroom or come to one of our information sessions